Vegan Twice Baked Potatoes with
When I first adopted a plant based diet over 8 years ago, I tried to make vegan twice baked potatoes using tofu. They were ok, but I didn't really care to use tofu in all of my vegan dishes. So when I discovered garlic buttah- a vegan substitute I learned how to make from my plant based cooking course- I gave them another try, and wa-la! Vegan Twice Baked Potatoes were born.
They were so yummy, even my non-vegan friends had no idea they were dairy free. Next, I'm going to have to try this on my Veggie Shepherd's Pie.
2 large baking potatoes
½ a head cauliflower, flowerets
1 cup Garlic Buttah
¼ cup non-diary milk
salt and pepper, to taste
chives or seasoning for garnish
How to prepare
- Slice baking potatoes in half, lengthwise and steam until fully cooked and you can insert a knife easily through the center.
- Chop cauliflower flowerets and steam until done- I steamed my potatoes and cauliflower at the same time, just checking cauliflower to make sure not to over cook.
- Once potatoes have cooled down enough to handle, scoop out center of potatoes, being careful not to break the skin. Set skins on lined baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 325F/220C
- Add scooped out potatoes, steamed cauliflower, garlic buttah and non-dairy milk to a large bowl and smash until all ingredients are blended together into a smooth, creamy mixture. Taste, and add salt and pepper if desired.
- Spoon mixture back into potatoes skins and brush with a little veggie stock mixed with a 2 tbsp of garlic buttah- this will help the potato brown.
- Bake on a lined baking dish or tray for 20-30 minutes or until potatoes start to brown on top.
- Garnish with chives, pepper, chili, or any other seasoning you like
- Serve as a side dish to a salad, like my Roasted Pumpkin and Quinoa Salad, or as a light meal