Monday, June 6, 2016

Twice Baked Potatoes- Vegan


Vegan Twice Baked Potatoes with 


When I first adopted a plant based diet over 8 years ago, I tried to make vegan twice baked potatoes using tofu. They were ok, but I didn't really care to use tofu in all of my vegan dishes. So when I discovered garlic buttah- a vegan substitute I learned how to make from my plant based cooking course- I gave them another try, and wa-la! Vegan Twice Baked Potatoes were born. 

They were so yummy, even my non-vegan friends had no idea they were dairy free. Next, I'm going to have to try this on my Veggie Shepherd's Pie.



Ingredients
2 large baking potatoes
½ a head cauliflower, flowerets 
¼ cup non-diary milk
salt and pepper, to taste
chives or seasoning for garnish






 How to prepare
  • Slice baking potatoes in half, lengthwise and steam until fully cooked and you can insert a knife easily through the center. 
  • Chop cauliflower flowerets and steam until done- I steamed my potatoes and cauliflower at the same time, just checking cauliflower to make sure not to over cook.
  • Once potatoes have cooled down enough to handle, scoop out center of potatoes, being careful not to break the skin. Set skins on lined baking dish.
  • Preheat oven to 325F/220C
  • Add scooped out potatoes, steamed cauliflower, garlic buttah and non-dairy milk to a large bowl and smash until all ingredients are blended together into a smooth, creamy mixture. Taste, and add salt and pepper if desired.
  • Spoon mixture back into potatoes skins and brush with a little veggie stock mixed with a 2 tbsp of garlic buttah- this will help the potato brown.  
  • Bake on a lined baking dish or tray for 20-30 minutes or until potatoes start to brown on top. 
  • Garnish with chives, pepper, chili, or any other seasoning you like
  • Serve as a side dish to a salad, like my Roasted Pumpkin and Quinoa Salad, or as a light meal
Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment