Monday, September 12, 2016

Ginger Butternut Squash Soup



September brings cooler weather to most parts of the world, and is a great time to start thinking about adding soup to your week's menu planner. 

Living in Australia for a number of years is where I discovered my love for pumpkin soup. Growing up in the US, pumpkins were just something you carved up for Halloween or made pie out of, making soup was the farthest thing from my mind. 

Once I had my first cup of pumpkin soup, I was hooked and I've been working on recipes ever since. The one I'm sharing with you today may just be the best batch yet. It's so good that we've had it for dinner 3 times in the last 2 weeks! 

My kids started requesting this soup, and my oldest daughter, who's responsible for making dinner once a week, wanted make this for her dinner. Since most of my recipes are in my head, I had to write this one down for her and here's the end result... 

I sure hope you like it as much as we do!  



Ginger Pumpkin Soup 

Serves 6-8 adults

Ingredients
1 brown onion, diced
2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
2” piece (1tbsp) ginger, peeled and diced
1-2 small chilis (optional)
2-3 cups butternut squash, cubed
2 carrots, chopped
1 sweet potato, chopped 
3 tbsp homemade veggie stock concentrate*
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cardamom
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 can coconut milk



Method
  • In a large saucepan add onion, garlic, ginger and chili’s if using, and sauté over medium high heat for about 3 minutes, or until they become aromatic
  • Add the butternut squash, carrots and sweet potato to saucepan, then add veggie stock concentrate, spices and enough water to just cover the chopped veggies. 
  • Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes
  • After 30 minutes, turn off heat to blend soup using a soup blender or food processor*
  • Add coconut milk to blended soup and simmer for another 15-20 minutes
  • Serve with your favorite bread- I like turkish or crusty bread with this one

Enjoy!


Notes

  • Vegetable stock can be substituted for veggie stock concentrate and water
    • vegetable bullion cubes equivalents, 2 cubes = 3 tbsp veggie stock concentrate
  • If using a food processor, the soup may need to cool slightly before adding to processor. If soup is too hot, it may over heat the processors motor.

No comments:

Post a Comment