I love Mexican food, so I am always looking for different ways to enjoy my favorite dish. These were surprisingly super tasty and so easy to make. Don't like black beans, no worries, you can easily substitute the black beans with pinto beans or try lentils for a "meaty" flavor.
If your looking for a new twist to a Meat Free Monday or Plant Based meal, this one won't disappoint.
- 4 large portabella mushrooms
- Seasoning (Salt, paprika, cumin, coriander and chili powder)
- 1 cup frozen corn (fresh is always better, but who has the time tonight!)
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 zucchini, chopped (optional)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (you can use rice if you prefer)
- 1 lime, juiced
- handful of coriander (cilantro), chopped
Preheat oven to 425F/220C
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Clean mushrooms and remove stem. Place on baking sheet and season with salt, paprika, cumin, coriander and chili. Place in oven while preheating and prepare the Black Bean stuffing- approximately 15-20 minutes.
Sauté the corn in 1-2 tbsp coconut oil on medium high heat and season with paprika, cumin, coriander and chili until it begins to brown, about 3-5 mins. Then add the onion, garlic and red pepper and sauté another 2 mins. Add the black beans and toss to heat. (note- do not cook black beans, just toss them in the mixture and turn off heat.)
Remove from heat and add the cooked quinoa (or rice), lime juice and coriander and mix until all ingredients are combined.
Remove mushrooms from preheated oven and fill with Black Bean mixture. Place back in oven and cook another 5-10 minutes. Cooking time will depend on thickness of mushrooms.
Remove from oven and serve with avocado slices, chopped tomato and chips.